The Paleo Diet: science, health, and sustainability

Is the Paleo Diet heathy? A 20th century painting of two hunter-gatherers hunting a glyptodon in the Paleolithic era.

In this post I’m going to take a look at the “Paleo Diet” from a few perspectives: Is it based on solid science? Is it healthy? Is it good for the planet? In the last post I reviewed the scientific literature on the impact of low-carb diets on health and found that the evidence overwhelmingly … Continue reading The Paleo Diet: science, health, and sustainability

Are low-carb diets good for you? Sustainability and health benefits of carbs

Are low-carb diets good for you? A photo of various varieties of potatoes in crates.

Continuing on the theme of ethical consumerism and health, I’m going to take a look at the sustainability and health benefits of carbohydrates, and especially on the question of whether low-carb diets are good for you. But there’s a lot of material to cover, so I’m going to first look at scientific studies on low-carb … Continue reading Are low-carb diets good for you? Sustainability and health benefits of carbs

Why you should eat seaweed: sustainability and health benefits

The left image shows the red seaweed dulse growing in blue ocean water. The right image shows crispy dulse on a wooden board.

In this first post on the relationship between ethical consumerism and health I’m going to take a look at the sustainability and health benefits of... seaweed! First I'll cover the sustainability of seaweed and then the health benefits – and one health benefit in particular that made science headlines this month. Sustainability of seaweed I … Continue reading Why you should eat seaweed: sustainability and health benefits

Dean Foods bankruptcy and ethical consumerism

Images of Dairy Pure milk from Dean Foods and plant-based milk from Ripple Foods. Underneath is a graphic showing the ethical rating for these products: 1/5 and 4.5/5 Green Stars, respectively.

Dean Foods, the largest dairy company in the US, filed for bankruptcy this week. Sad news for employees, but perhaps a positive indicator for ethical consumerism. Is the myth of the ethical consumer becoming a reality? (The myth of the ethical consumer refers to the idea that, while many of us prioritize ethical choices in … Continue reading Dean Foods bankruptcy and ethical consumerism

What is ethical consumerism?

A picture of a toothpaste tube, annotated to suggest that 80% of the toothpaste is used in 4 weeks but the remaining 20% lasts for 4 months

To me, ethical consumerism is a pretty self-explanatory term and I think that most people have a good idea of what it means. But it’s worthwhile to take a fresh look at the concept from time to time and address any misconceptions that crop up. So here's a quick guide to ethical consumerism from the … Continue reading What is ethical consumerism?

Daily Footprint, #35 – Tofurky

Packaging for the Tofurky veggie roast with wild rice stuffing

Tofurky (made by the charmingly-named Turtle Island Foods, based in Portland, Oregon) has been around since the 1980s and is still a family-owned company. Founder, Seth Tibbot had this to say about the journey: Armed with my life savings of $2500 and a passionate love for soybeans, I rented a small space in the back … Continue reading Daily Footprint, #35 – Tofurky

Daily Footprint, #34 – Tofu

Two soybean (soya bean) pods hanging from a plant in a field.

I was going to cover a specific soy-based product for this fourth post on meat-alternatives. However, I think it’s best to cover soy in general as the topic requires a post to itself. So, as a proxy for soy, I’m going to cover the most common meat-substitute in the world: tofu! A note about terminology: … Continue reading Daily Footprint, #34 – Tofu

Daily Footprint, #33 – No Evil

A package of "The Stallion" sausages from No Evil Foods, composed of cardboard.

Continuing on the theme on meat alternatives, I’m going to take a look at No Evil Foods, which began in 2014 by selling homemade products in farmers’ markets in North Carolina and has grown since then, recently expanding to Whole Foods markets across the US. They make a range of high-protein products to cook with … Continue reading Daily Footprint, #33 – No Evil